The list of entrants in the 2012 Leadville is online, so I made a summary of the list of Canadians who will be running Leadville.
It’s certainly possible I missed some, I didn’t use a very robust methodology for picking them out. I looked up the BC runners to see if anyone interesting is running. If you know of these people, let me know and I’ll look them up.
- Steve Beach, Richmond Hill ON
- Moe “The Eagle” Beaulieu, Victoria BC – ran 24:24 at Western States 100 miler
- Jean Daniel Begin, Toronto ON
- Mary Betts, Surrey BC – ran 28:33 at Western States and 39:59 at Badwater 2011
- Matt Cecill, Victoria BC – ran 7:11 at Sun Mountain 50 miler
- Simon Donato, Calgary AB
- Sheri Foster, Calgary AB
- Stephen Gould, Powell River BC – ran 25:11 at Badger Mountain 100 miler
- Jon Heshka, Kamloops BC – ran 14:55 at Squaw Peak 50 miler
- Patrick Houde, Montreal QC
- Wade Jarvis, Canmore AB
- Louis Lazar, Calgary AB
- Michel LeBlanc, Vancouver BC – “This is he.”
- Torben Lind, Victoria BC –
- Chris McPeake, Toronto ON – ran 6:17 at Sun Mountain 50 miler
- Dave Melanson, Saltspring Island BC – ran 7:35 at Sun Mountain 50 miler
- Alston Miller, Powell River BC – ran 25:11 at Badger Mountain 100 miler
- Charles Oatman, Etobicoke ON
- Kendra Olsen, Caledon ON
- Ammon Piepgrass, Calgary AB
- Gilles Poulin, Bromont QC
- Mathew Rogers, St. Albert AB
- Morgan Schick, Mississauga ON
- Jen Segger, Squamish BC – ran 32:31 at Badwater 2008!
- Tammy Sieminowski, Toronto ON
- Mike Suminski, Victoria BC – ran 28:57 at Leadville 2007
- Carlos Vicens, Mississauga ON – 57th with a 9:16 finish at Silver Rush 50ver Rush 50
- Stew Wilson, Beaumont AB
- 11 from British-Columbia
- 7 from Alberta
- 8 from Onterrible
- 2 from Quebec
Of note is athlete Jen Segger. She’s an ultra-runner from Squamish, who I actually had a chance to run with back when I was training for the Tenderfoot. Apparently she’s never run Leadville, but she has a pretty impressive list of results, including a 9th place at Badwater in 2008, which is pretty cool. I believe her time (32 hrs) is a course record for her age group at the time (women’s 20 to 28.)
It’s strange I’m the only one running out of Vancouver, although I guess Mary Betts is running out of Surrey, and that’s plenty close enough. East Coast is seriously under-represented. I wonder if anyone has ever run Leadville out of New Brunswick? Or Manitoba? Does anyone ever do anything interesting out of Manitoba or Saskatchewan, except leave the place?
Here’s a hilarious news spot I found that features three of our BC runners! Thankfully it reminds me why I don’t watch TV, least of all the news, but it is great to see they are getting some coverage!
Train hard, boys, race starts in 24 days…